Thanksgiving Safety Tips from SPS
¨ Keep your family and overnight guests safe with a working smoke detector on every level of the house, in every bedroom, and in the halls adjacent to the bedrooms. Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries at least twice a year.
¨ Overnight guests should be instructed on the fire escape plan and designated meeting place for your home.
¨ Have a fire extinguisher available not more than 10 feet from the stove, on the exit side of the room.
¨ A 2-1/2 lb. class ABC multi-purpose dry chemical extinguisher is recommended. Know how to use your fire extinguisher.
¨ Start holiday cooking with a clean stove and oven. Use a sturdy roaster pan, appropriate for turkey weight as grease spills can cause fires and burns.
¨ Keep the kitchen off-limits to young children and adults that are not helping with food preparations to lessen the possibility of kitchen mishaps.
¨ When cooking ,do not wear clothing with loose sleeves or dangling jewelry. The clothing can catch on fire and the jewelry can catch on pot handles, causing spills and burns.
¨ Cook on the back burners when possible and turn pot handles in so they don’t extend over the edge of the stove.
¨ Never leave cooking unattended. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, turn off the stove or have someone else watch what is being cooked.
¨ Keep Thanksgiving decorations and kitchen clutter away from sources of direct heat.
¨ Candles are often part of holiday decorations. Candles should never be left burning when you are away from home, or after going to bed. Candles should be located where children will not be tempted to play with them, and where guests will not accidentally brush against them. The candle holder should be completely noncombustible and difficult to knock over. The candle should not have combustible decorations around it.
¨ Never use a turkey fryer indoors or in a garage. Use outside well away from any structures.